one dreams his self while he is his self

one dreams his self while he is his self
vaguelooksfromoutbehindherlashes, i am but a shade.

Saturday, July 26, 2008

l. bourgeois - an artistic return to storytelling


i encourage any and everyone to follow this link. it is the louise bourgeois: the spider, the mistress and the tangerine trailer. truly a piece that will provide an afterglow. "the intensity of the emotions are much to much for me to handle. that is why i transfer them. i transfer the energy into sculpture. this applies to everything i do...the materials are not the subject of the artist. the subject of the artist are emotions and ideas, both."  she is on exhibit at the guggenheim through sept 28.

"we need a louise bourgeois show right now, where the artist who makes work for herself - rather than for an institution or a marketplace - is seen as important" - rachel harrison, a new york sculptor inspired by bourgeois' abstraction.

"time - time lived, time forgotten, time shared. what does time inflict - dust and disintegration? my reminiscences help me live in the present, and i want them to survive. i am a prisoner of my emotions. you have to tell your story, and you have to forget your story. you forget and forgive. it liberates you" - louise bourgeois: blue days and pink days.
i think in a large part, this is my difficulty with editing and with trying not to write with a form of immediacy. i feel like if i return to my writing, dissemble it and replace text with newer/refined content - what i risk doing is misplacing myself, and having the heart of the thoughts become a work for others and from another me. i would rather let my imperfections remain, even in broad daylight, but perhaps that is me being stubborn.

No comments: