one dreams his self while he is his self

one dreams his self while he is his self
vaguelooksfromoutbehindherlashes, i am but a shade.

Monday, November 17, 2008

I am an extremist who is extremely exhausted of her self.

"Critics, mainly men, mainly Parisians, have attacked what I write. They charge me with writing in a way that is obscene on two levels, social and sexual. Social, because in some of my texts my subject is the inequality of social conditions, of cultures; sexual because in Passion Simple, I described - calmly and precisely - the passion of a mature woman, lived in adolescent, 'romantic' mode, but also very physically - without the emotional framework, the moral judgement, without precisely the romantic coventions which are expected from a woman writer.

(Annie Ernaux, 2003)
I am exhausted. From what? From myself? It is possible. In a matter of a week, half my confidence was pulled away from me. Now I have been struggling to put together a manuscript, eating (burgers, brownies) and have discovered when one is "brain dead" they also don't see straight. I hadn't known this. Had some crap poem read today. I hadn't given it an ounce of thought, which is kind of what I needed to do (not be thinking). What came to mine was flamingos, crabs and beheaded mannequins. The professor liked it. He said it was a cynical portrayal of my romantic work. I laughed, deliriously. I mean I really am delirious. Plus, it made me think of how every male who comes into my room is frightened of the mannequin heads sitting there watching through the dark. Of course, I told the class this, which made me laugh harder when the professor said are you sure they aren't just afraid of you and the idea of you dressing the mannequins and calling them when you are away from the apartment? I laughed and laughed. I've lost my mind. We talked fashion, the runway which made me think of Who Are You Polly Magoo? Which no one had heard about, that shocked me. I need to go get coffee, perhaps from Think. I have less than 15 minutes. I'm going to Astor Haircuts (yes yes, the barber shop) to get my hair cut. I should just call it a day and have wine instead. I take it all so seriously, every day, thinking hard but yet, feeling like I am hardly thinking. I am not ready for these applications and somehow it comes down to this, I sleep with self styled procrastination and I am the subject of an egotistical yearning. All taken from Lyn Hejinian. The truth out of my mouth? I am scared. I am scared about graduating and what life will be like after this, after this academia bubble, where will I be living. I know these are small things in the scheme of larger concerns but I have my nostalgia always - a constant doubt/questioning of what I have done (what if..?) - and I often think I am denying and avoiding the other dimension. 

Am I an addict. If you have to question it or rather, are compelled to, then maybe you are.


favourite scene

2 comments:

Christine Lucille said...

Brownies.
Life is hard, man.
Brownies and Cookie Dough.
I made those hair things everyone wears.
Brownies and Mint.
The man stole my ideas, so I can't disclose my shoe accessories.
Brownies and Reeses.
Oh, you want to be a writer? Girl you're set.
Brownies and Peanut Butter.
She's crazy, but the last statement was true.
Brownies and Snickers.
You are set. You are you.
Brownies with milk.
You're the milk. You have it.
Brownies.
More Brownies.
Thank god for Brownies.
Brownies are my bubble.
Brownies are my life.

Claudelean Musee said...

I was at a party of sorts when I retrieved this message on my phone. Nothing mattered around me, other than what I was reading in my hand. I really feel what you are saying here. And I love where you are going with it.

Thank you. Those moments are what life is happening for. I hope that crazy girl was right, but I think we both know, no one should have to listen to someone else's words to hear themselves.

Glad to see you back and posting from your interior.