one dreams his self while he is his self

one dreams his self while he is his self
vaguelooksfromoutbehindherlashes, i am but a shade.

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Weekend of Three.


I wake never entirely knowing not how to begin
Only having this want, which began as a feeling 
And is to say, its sense was less, but all the same 
Was persistently pressing, enticing nerves while paralyzing others
Willing an effect, to be passionately disturbed, 
Pleasurably, if the feeling got the best of me!
Certainly it is difficult knowing
What is it I want most, which I need now?
Often I come out of sleep
Finding some body, forgotten 
Moments before, during dream, he wasn’t on my mind. 
In instants I need reminding,
The relation of him to eye.
Mind backpedaling through memory’s rolodex. 
This not being a scene 
Where I hadn’t known him or forgotten lines
But rather, misplaced ourselves. 
Over a minute of fear, a time resistant to time, 
I want to be with him but I also need him to go.
Men are all different, it is hard to see
Taking time’s challenges to know, I’ve learned
Which doesn’t mean I am now godlike 
Predicting how each human heart will take to me.
But still I can wish
They knew how I act in indecision 
Never entirely knowing not how to begin.
Why I withdrew from the face I preferred to kiss again
Stressing distance in spite of attraction.
Not even explaining why on Sunday 
I need to snort amphetamines before noon
Spending Manhattan’s most marveled day
In a bubble wrap, working on self-imposed assignments. 
Watching him go even now is confusing, but it’s also impossible
To say I only experience ecstasy when bodies are outside of mine
Admitting his penis pursing dimensions is stimulating
Corporeally, but not cerebrally, which is what I need.
Yet when the morning catches me off guard
In a past lover’s arms my eyes unlatch 
Only to wish they hadn’t, he can feel 
Me, wasting away, blood draining through my sewer’s veins.
Drawing arms tighter against my heart
Happily whispering, “Has Sleeping Beauty woken?”
Do I wish I never would, but instead betray us both
Answering “I’ll never feel this bed again, if I don’t get up…”
But remembering the line, he interrupts, “I guess you want me to go.”
Yes, kissing me anyway, which makes me feel
Bad, but can’t change 
Last Friday when waking against a shoulder, a patchwork of moles,
I heard a breathing body and tried to pinch it breathless
Only to scare him out of sleep and have me reach for his clothes.
Words following him out the door, nothing clear or definitely real,
Just speech slipping saying he had to work, had to write, had to go.
Even in my nightgown, I was awake to what I didn’t know,
What did he want? What did he need?
But he left too quickly and abruptly to feel out any answers
And now it is Sunday, four hours after noon, 
I have all this bubble wrap but no tissue for my bleeding nose
So I’m continuing to work, needing to know what it is he wanted on Friday
Since he sounded like me, but didn’t say. 

No comments: